Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Symbolum Apostolorum

Credo in Deum Patrem omnipotentem, Creatorem caeli et terrae.
I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth.
Et in Iesum Christum, Filium eium unicum, Dominum nostrum,
And in Jesus Christ his only son, our Lord,
qui conceptus est de Spiritu Sancto, natus ex Maria virgine,
who was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary,
passus sub Pontio Pilato, crucifixus, mortuus, et sepultus.
suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and buried.
Descendit ad inferna, tertia die resurrexit a mortuis, ascendit ad caelos,
He descended into hell, on the third day he raised from the dead, he ascended into heaven,
sedet ad dexteram Dei Patris omnipotentis,
He sits at the right hand of God the Father almighty
inde venturus iudicare vivos et mortuos.
from whence he will come to judge the living and the dead.
Credo in Spiritum Sanctum, sanctam ecclesiam catholicam, sanctorum communionem,
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of the saints,
remissionem peccatorem, carnis resurrectionem, vitam aeternam.
the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, life eternal.
Amen.

Today I assigned my students the task of translating the apostles' creed into English (we've been memorizing it for about 6 weeks) and providing scriptural support for each clause contained in the creed. I'm curious to see how they turn out when the students turn them in tomorrow. I took time today to complete the same assignment and it was interesting. I had to do some research on the "communion of the saints." What does that mean? Apparently, it has been taken to mean both the fellowship of believers and the sacrament/Lord's supper. I found scriptures to support both, but don't really know where to find out which was originally intended when the creed was written.

Our next creed is the Nicene Creed. It will be interesting to see how the two creeds differ and why. It's been a while since I was in doctrine class and I have to say I'm enjoying getting back into scripture for the purpose of digging out doctrine. Again... who knew that by becoming a Latin teacher I would get to do stuff like this for class?


No comments: