Thursday, June 09, 2005

I put the book down...

... which was something I couldn't do with Atlas Shrugged. Yet, 36 pages into The Fountainhead I was tired, put the book down, and fell asleep. That was a few days ago. I haven't been inspired to pick it up since. Is this a sign? Atlas Shrugged had me captivated at line 1. "Who is John Galt?" and I was hooked. As I sit writing right now, I can't even remember the name of the main character in The Fountainhead. I hope this isn't indicative of what I will find throughout the book. Here I am at page 36 and I must make it to page 694! It's not that the book isn't interesting - it's just not captivating. I should have known; when you begin with an author's masterpiece, all his other works will be inferior to that first.

I'll keep reading. Maybe the pages will fly like the last did. Maybe not. We'll see.

2 comments:

Leif Wickland said...

Have you finished it, yet?

Elizabeth Wickland said...

No, I haven't been motivated to pick it up again. Mostly I've been pouring my reading time into "Rome Alive."