Sunday, June 29, 2008

If I could go back to elementary school....

I'd choose to play the cello instead of the flute. I love the cello. It is so rich, so deeply purple, so beautiful. I would love to know how to play one.

I'm pretty sure it started with the piano/cello duet I played with David Hastie in high school. Arioso is beautiful as a piano/cello duet and it was probably my favorite piece to perform.

Currently I love the theme song to Angel. Soulful is about the only word I can think of to describe it. It's beautiful. I think it's the cello.

My favorite album at the moment is Abigail Washburn and the Sparrow Quartet. Amazing. Complex. And... yes, a bit of cello. Click the link to hear some of the album. It's a little bluegrass, a little oriental, and a lot of funky beautiful. She yodels in her own style, sings in Mandarin, plays banjo and shares the stage with another banjo, fiddle, and cello. Makes for a unique sound I've never heard anywhere else and I love it. I think it's the cello.

And so, if I could do it all over again, I'd skip the flute. I'd choose the cello. And I'd play the most beautiful music I've ever dreamed up.

1 comment:

Taylor Mathews said...

You should check out Brandie Carlyle (I might have spelled that wrong. Its a laid back sort of rock, but has a lot of cello. :-)