Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Random Latin phrases one might find helpful...

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

(This one is not dissimilar to my favorite German phrase... "Darf ich ein Schlaefchen in deiner Nase haben?" or... "May I take a nap in your nose?")

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Braccae illae virides cum subucula rosea et tunica Caledonia-quam elenganter concinnatur!
Those green pants go so well with that pink shirt and the plaid jacket!

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!
If you can read this sign, you can get a good job in the fast-paced, high-paying world of Latin!


And that is your highly intellectual Latin lesson for the day, boys and girls. Alas, it seems I am out of practice in the highly intellectual realm. My apologies.



1 comment:

Kimberlee said...

Oh my. Tonight I read this and just laughed. These phrases are so characteristic of you that I actually heard your voice saying them and your mischevious, random little smile and laugh afterwards. I LOVED THIS!!