Monday, January 01, 2018

New Years Thoughts.... 2018

Today is Holy Name Day, celebrated in the church as the day Jesus was circumcised and given his name, 8 days after birth, according to Jewish law. It is also New Years Day in the western calendar and, as such, is always a time of reflection for me. This year the two celebration days have me pondering Revelation 2, Dan Allender, and the story God is writing for my life.

Revelation 2:17

Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it.

In "To Be Told," Dan Allender talks about our time right now being between names. We are given a name as infants, and we will be given a new name at the end of our lives. What are we in-between?

When I was born, my parents named me Elizabeth, a Hebrew name that means "consecrated to God." This is part of who I am. My parents, in the choice of my name, declared me sacred and set apart for God.

God knows what He is doing with my life. It is I who am discovering His leading and purpose along the way. So where is He taking me this year? What chapter will He write for 2018?

As I ponder my identity, my existence between two names, I am drawn to this description of who I am. I am...

1. God worshipping
2. Idolatry discerning
3. Earth keeping
4. Beauty creating
5. Justice seeking
6. Creation enjoying
7. Servant working
8. Community building
9. Image reflecting
10. Order discovering

I look forward to seeing how these descriptions are fleshed out over the course of the year and beyond.

No comments: