Monday, February 04, 2019

Current Reading List...

I’m in the midst of several books right now, in several formats, on several topics. Here are the books forming the larger conversations I’m currently participating in...

Audio Books:

  • Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
  • Walden by Henry David Thorough
Kindle Books:
  • Scraps, Peels, and Stems: Recipes for Rethinking Food Waste at Home by Jill Lightner
  • Eve in Exile and the Restoration of Femininity by Rebekah Merkle 
Paper Books
  • Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of your Child by Anthony Esolen
  • Newton’s Principia 
  • Enlightening Symbols: A Short History if Mathematical Notation by Joseph Maxie
  • Gaia’s Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture by Toby Hemenway
  • A Small Porch: Sabbath Poems 2014-2015 by Wendell Berry 
  • Awed to Heaven, Rooted in Earth by Walter Bruggemann
  • Sounding the Seasons by Malcom Guite
  • Light Upon Light: A Literary Guide to Prayer for Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany by Sarah Arthur
The last few on the list I’m working through systematically as the liturgical year progresses, so they are not ones I make significant, so much as steady, progress on. 

The last week was a difficult one, with events commemorating Bill Terry’s life and passing occupying my time and thoughts. I didn’t read as much as I had been, but that’s okay. The habits and patterns of reading interrupted by grief will return, sooner for me than for the family, so for now I will mourn with those who mourn, leaving time and space for reflection and prayer when I find myself unable to focus on the words on the page. 

No comments: