Thursday, July 31, 2008

Psalm 54

A short Psalm, only 7 verses. But in those 7 verses you see change in David's attitude as he prays. He begins with a plea for the Lord to save him.
Save me, O God, by your name;

By verse 4 he has begun to have a little more confidence as he realizes it is the Lord who sustains him.
Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me.

And by the end of the Psalm he speaks in all confidence as he says he will praise the Lord's name.
For He has delivered me from all my troubles, and my eyes have looked in triumph on my foes.

Here David did not succumb to his emotions and fear, though he certainly starts out in them. But he was reminded of who God is and what He has done and he responds with praise and reverence for the name of the Lord and confidence in His plan.

Oh, that I may remember who God is and respond in the same way when I am fearful of those around me who would do me harm. For God is not ignorant of circumstances, nor is He incapable of handling my problems. I will put my trust in Him.

No comments: