Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Summer Reading List

Well, this is the summer. I'm almost done with Ovid's Metamorphoses, and it's only taken me about a year. So this is the summer I tackle the Illiad, Oddessey, and Aeneid. I can't justify waiting any longer to read the Aeneid, and I know I won't have a complete picture of the story if I don't first read the Illiad and Odyssey. So... this is it. I've officially posted my goal.

As a sidenote, I've chosen translations of the Oddessey and Aeneid by Allen Mandelbaum. It was his translation of The Metamorphoses that I read and liked so much. I have been very impressed with his translations - in their fullness of meaning and simple beauty to read. I already had a copy of Lattimore's Illiad (which I had heard was an excellent translation), so I'll be interested to see the difference in their styles.

No comments: